Liquor consumption in public places


Under Council's Community Amenity Local Law 2023, a person must not, without a permit, consume, carry or have in their control, an open container of liquor, on a road or on Council land unless:

  • the Council has granted an exemption in writing either to an individual, a class of persons or to an event organizer permitting the consumption of liquor;
  • they are attending a premises which is licensed under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998; or
  • they are consuming, carrying or have in their control an open container of liquor within a reserve between the hours of 8am and 10pm.

Council may designate an area of the municipality to be a liquor prohibited area for a specified period as evidenced by the display of signage.  A designation made by Council must be advertised on Council’s website and in a newspaper generally circulating in the area prior to the commencement of the relevant period.

Application for Local Law Permit

Pdf form for Local Law Permit, Apply for a Permit

Application for a Local Law permit form:
Type of Activity
I wish to be able to
Application fee $70.00 (219) and Permit fee $119.00 (20) (total $189.00) (Fees are subject to change 1 July each year)
I declare that the information above is true and correct. I declare that I fully understand all of my requirements. * (required)
Note: This form must be completed in full prior to the permit being processed/issued. Incomplete applications will be denied.
PAYMENT METHODS: a) IN PERSON at Council Offices in Cobram and Yarrawonga. EFTPOS facilities available. b) PHONE: council during business hours. Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm. Please have your credit card ready and a copy of this form. c) MAIL: cheque or money orders, made payable to ‘Moira Shire Council’ to PO Box 578 Cobram VIC 3643.

Collection Statement: Council is collecting your personal information for the purpose of your entry in Moira’s ‘Active in Nature’ competition. Information collected may be disclosed if authorised by law. You can find out more about how we use and protect your information by viewing ourPrivacy Statement. If you require access to the information you have provided, please contact Council.

Community Amenity Local Law 2023