Business permits explained

Depending on the type of business you establish, the regulations and permits vary.

To help you consider what permits you may need, below is a short explanation of each.

You will be directed to further information by clicking on the headings below.

Accommodation business

Type of businesses include; motel, hotel, caravan park, residential accommodation, rooming house, holiday camp, hostel or student dormitory.

Building permits

Here you will find information to help you with the construction, renovation, improvements, demolition and/or maintenance of a particular building.

Food Business

Registering a new food business, purchasing existing food business, food safety requirements, food safety programs, supervisor requirements, food safety for residents and at events and festivals.

Footpath Trading

We have a responsibility to manage activities that have an impact on footpaths by regulating trading activities including the placement of tables and chairs, signs and goods for sale.

Health and beauty business

Health businesses including hairdressers, beauty salons, tattooists, ear-piercing, colonic irrigation and any other business involving skin penetration activities must be registered with their local council in accordance with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

Planning permits

Here you will find information to help you for the use and development of land, subdivision, liquor licenses etc.

Septic permits

What you need to know when installing or altering a septic tank system.