All Abilities Advisory Committee (AAAC)
All Abilities Advisory Committee
Council’s All Abilities Advisory Committee (AAAC) advises Council on how to improve access and inclusion for people of all abilities in the Moira Shire community.
The committee is made up of a maximum of 20 Council and community representatives including;
- Up to two Councillors nominated by Council annually. Additional Councillors will be welcome to address particular issues as desired/indicated
- Community members with disability
- Carers and families of people with disability
- Community members with an interest or work experience in access and inclusion issues
- Council’s Wellbeing and Inclusion Officer(s)
- Service providers in disability, community support, employment, recreation, education and health sectors
- Representatives from agencies representing First Nations and specific or multi-cultural work
- Other Council Officers will be invited to attend particular meetings, as relevant to the agenda of the meeting.
The Committee meets four times per year and advises Council on the Disability Action Plan (DAP), as well as other relevant Council projects, policies, and plans. The Disability Act 2006 (Victoria) requires all Councils to have a DAP. The AAAC will provide input into the development and implementation of the DAP.
The Committee is guided by a Terms of Reference, with meetings chaired by a community chairperson and run to a structured format.
The expertise of Committee members is a valuable resource which assists Council in working towards a number of strategic goals including:
- Enabling people of all abilities to actively participate, socialise and have fun in the community and contribute to local decision making.
- Providing accessible, flexible, people-centric services and information, responsive to the needs of people with a disability, their families and carers.
- Actively promoting the importance of inclusion for all, addressing discriminatory attitudes, and supporting inclusive practices.
Committee members must have a strong connection to the local community and live, work, Study in, or regularly visit, Moira Shire.
The Disability Action Plan (DAP) 2022-26 is currently under review.
For details regarding the AAAC please contact the Community Wellbeing, Health & Culture Team (03) 5871 9222