How to object to a Planning decision

Who can I object to a planning objection?

Any person who feels they may be adversely affected by the granting of a planning permit can lodge a formal objection with Council. An application may not be advertised if it is minor, routine or a noted exemption by law. In this instance, there is no opportunity to object to the application.

How do I make an objection?

Please complete the Planning Objection Form providing:

  • your full name, email address, contact telephone numbers, and address
  • the grounds for your objection
  • how you will be affected by the grant of a permit.

Forward your objection to Council within the timeframe specified at the bottom of the Notice of Application and/or sign displayed at the site

  • in person at our service centres in Cobram and Yarrawonga
  • email to
  • mail to Moira Shire Council, PO Box 578, Cobram Vic 3643

What happens after I lodge an objection?

You will receive an acknowledgement letter advising your objection has been registered. For petitions we will contact the nominated person or head petitioner. We may invite you to a mediation meeting or planning forum to discuss your objection.

OBJECTIONS ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL - as required by S57 of the Planning & Environment Act, Council must make a copy of every objection available to any person to inspect, free of charge, during business hours.

Planning forums

We may invite you to a planning forum to discuss your objection. These forums provide an opportunity for the applicant and objectors to understand any issues with the application. If you wish to address a forum, you must have submitted an objection to the planning proposal in writing.


If you are unhappy with Council's decision, you may wish to apply to VCAT

Withdrawing  your Objection

If you wish to withdraw your objection to an application, please fill out the form below and submit to council. Alternatively you may notify council in writing of your intention to withdraw.

Objector Withdrawal