We asked Councillor Marie Martin the following:
1. What is your connection to Moira?
I was born in Numurkah and completed most of my schooling in the area. We returned with a young school aged family to enjoy more time with extended family in the relaxed lifestyle and open spaces that living in the country offers.
2. What do you think is the greatest strength of the Moira Community?
Moira‘s greatest strength is its agricultural base, our people’s resilience and our ability to diversify to accommodate change in climate, and the cost and availability of water and energy.
Associated processing/manufacturing, and service industries and the provision of alternative energy sources offer opportunity for further employment. We have much to offer with many untapped resources and new ways of doing.
3. What made you decide to run for Council?
My motivation for standing was the perceived disconnect between Council's decision-making and our community aspirations.
4. What do you hope to achieve in your term as a Moira Shire Councillor?
I want to see:
- greater community consultation and engagement.
- the implementation of the Numurkah Floodplain Management Study and Plan
- substantial shire wide drainage improvement programs
- Council continue to maintain our extensive road network
- Council improve footpaths and infrastructure.
5. What is your favourite thing to do in Moira?
Journeying on the Kingfisher on the Murray in the Barmah State Park, followed by a Café Culture or GRAIN Store event.