Save Energy and the Environment!
Climate Change is a phenomenon that has the potential to affect industries within Moira Shire’s in the short and long term.
Responses to climate change are taking place at all levels: international; national; state and local. Moira Shire Council is committed
to reducing greenhouse gas emissions within its own operations, and across the community.
Some practical ways that you can reduce your energy use and save money:
- Ride, walk or share transport to and from work;
- Convert to energy efficient light globes and use 82% less energy;
- Wash in cold water and only with a full load;
- Adjust the heating/cooling thermostat by 1 degree to emissions by up to 10%;
- Increase your rate of recycling.
What We Are Doing About It?
Moira Shire Council has a wide range of environmental initiatives to reduce energy use and green house gas emissions. These include:
- Purchase of gas vehicles reducing emissions by 20% compared to petrol and saving council approximately $40,000 in the 2006/7 financial year;
- Energy audits of council offices in Cobram and associated works reducing energy use by 18700 kW, saving council around $5000 per year;
- Trial of Biodiesel in Councils machinery at the Cobram landfill to reduce councils emissions;
- Involvement in the Local Industry Efficiency Program which has involved 20 local businesses with potential saving of $129,270, or 663.4 tonnes of CO2-eq;
- Involvement in the North East Greenhouse Alliance ‘Planetsavers’ program with Katamatite Primary School and Christ the King Anglican College Cobram; and
- Investigation of tree planting sites to offset greenhouse emissions.