Learn to beat the bite
Publish Date: 05/01/2017
Moira Shire Council urges visitors and residents to protect themselves, family members and pets from mosquito bites over the summer.
Here are a range of tips to beat the bite.
Moira Shire recommends the following six tips to minimise the risk of mosquito bites.
- Apply mosquito repellent that contains DEET or picaridin regularly.
- Wear light coloured, loose-fitting clothes with long sleeves and long trousers (mosquitoes are attracted to dark coloured clothes and can bite through tight clothes).
- Avoid outdoor activity around dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Check and repair any tears or gaps in fly screens on houses, caravans and other holiday accommodation.
- Empty open containers of water from around the home or campsite to prevent mosquito breeding – especially water bowls for pets and static-water features.
- Control mosquitoes that enter your house or holiday accommodation with an insecticide aerosol spray and by spraying bedrooms before going to sleep.
More information about mosquito-borne diseases is available from the Victorian Government’s Better Health Channel website at The Better Health Channel.