Pound Animals and Animal Adoption
Have you lost your pet?
Having your pet registered, microchipped and identification tags on your pet's collar gives you the highest probability that your lost pet will be returned to you.
If you have lost your pet, the first place you should contact is your local Council. Please contact the Moira Shire Council Safety and Amenity Unit with the following details:
- Date lost or found
- Your name and address
- Your telephone number
- The breed of dog or cat (or type of other animal)
- The sex of the animal
- Identification (e.g. registration number, microchip number or whether animal was wearing a tag)
Council keeps a register of all impounded animals and may be able to assist in locating your lost pet. The animals in the ‘Animals in Pound’ list on this website are impounded animals whose owners have not been identified through a microchip or registration tag.
All impounded animals are kept for 8 days in the hope that its owner can be found. If no owner is found within the 8 days, the animal may be offered for adoption or euthanased.
If you recognise your animal in the ‘Animals in Pound’ list and wish to reclaim it, please contact Council on (03) 5871 9222. You will be asked to provide more information about the animal to ensure correct identification and to prove ownership. If your dog or cat has been impounded and it is over the age of 3 months, it must be microchipped and registered (if not already done so) before it can be released.
If you have lost your pet it is also advisable to:
- Speak to people in your area
- Contact local vet clinics
- Speak to local shop staff
- Contact Councils close to Moira Shire in case the animal was dropped off at another shelter. This may include Berrigan Shire Council, Federation Shire Council, Greater Shepparton City Council, Benalla Rural City Council, Wangaratta Rural City Council, Shire of Campaspe and Indigo Shire Council.
- Contact animal shelters in the region.
Animals in Pound
If you see your lost animal or an animal that you may be interested in adopting in the list below, please contact the Safety and Amenity Unit on 5871 9222 and quote the animals Reference number.
The information contained on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge with the information available at the time and should only be used as a guide. Owners of lost or impounded animals are advised to contact Council directly for assistance.
nothing to list...