Justice of the Peace
Justice of the Peace (JP) volunteers are appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Attorney-General under section 115 of the Magistrates’ Court Act 1989. There are approximately 4,800 JPs in Victoria today.
The role of JP volunteers in Victoria is largely administrative, with their primary role focused on:
- attesting to the execution of a document
- witnessing a statutory declaration
- witnessing an affidavit for use in court
- certifying a true copy of an original document
- certifying a person’s identity.
To find a Justice of the Peace or Bail Justice, visit the Department of Justice website or call 1300 365 567.
A Justice of the Peace attends the Yarrawonga Town Hall each Thursday afternoon between 1.30pm-3.30pm.