Arts and Culture
In 2011, Moira Shire Council, as part of its ongoing commitment to community building, through the protection and enhancement of the arts and culture sectors across the Shire, pledged to appoint a full-time Arts Culture Officer to its staff.
In December 2011, in accordance with its strategic goal to work together to strengthen our communities, Council engaged an officer specifically to identify and develop opportunities for arts and culture programs, events and tourism across Moira Shire. One of these opportunities was the need to form an Arts and Culture Board.
In November 2013, Moira Shire adopted a proposal from Arts and Culture Officer Marilyn Gourley to fund the Arts and Culture Board. The Moira Shire Arts and Culture Board is a not for profit incorporated association, has its own governance structure and terms of reference, and uses a skill based decision making process.
Whilst operating independently from council, the board has high levels of accountability to council through quarterly reporting, funding responsibilities / requirements, and staffing. One of its main goals (through its activities and programs) is to support the Councils Community strategic intent. “That Moira will be a Shire where all its people and communities are happy, healthy and safe with the ability, and have the opportunity to integrate, participate, connect and contribute to their communities.”
- 2 Moira Shire Councillors.
- Executive Officer (Moira Shire employee).
- 10 dedicated appropriately skilled community representatives who are passionate about the impact arts and cultural development makes on regional communities – in this case Moira Shire. They will be representative of a broad skill base, art genres, cultural groups, youth, the Indigenous community and geographical spread across the shire.
MAC INC is a support network for individual artists and organisation involved in artistic or cultural activities within the Moira Shire.
We aim to:
- Foster creative developments in the local arts sector by delivering a program of high calibre arts and performing arts performances, exhibitions, workshops and events.
- Other funding opportunities 3 / 1 for grants, philanthropic organisations, business sponsorships and state and federal arts funding opportunities.
- Two programs which support community character through financial assistance and programming.
- A neighbourhood and community arts program which provides support to neighbourhood groups that “produce recurring festivals and events that promote arts and cultural participation, build community and enhance the visibility of neighbourhoods through arts and culture participation, particularly among diverse and underserved communities”.
We currently communicate to interested artists and organisations through our bi monthly newsletter called MAC INC’S E News and our Facebook page.
Please find a printable version of E News letter by clicking on the Related Link below.
Should you like to subscribe to the E News simply email Mac Inc’s Project Officer Lonnie O’Dwyer on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact the Moira Shire Council Arts Culture Officer Marilyn Gourley if you require additional information on the services provided.